Dragon Fruit


I was feeling adventurous when I visited the nearest traditional market near my new house in Kerobokan. Many fresh fruits of all kind are sold there, including the dragon fruit (buah naga). The I-think-I-know-this-but-I've-never-tasted-it-before fruit was tempting me to buy it. I asked the seller how it tasted. And quickly she said, "Sweet." Then she looked back to her mate and asked her, "It is sweet, right?"

Okay, that was not exactly convincing.

And then she suggested me to buy one and try it myself. Apparently one dragon fruit was quite big and heavy and after scaling it, she charged me Rp 6,000 for one piece. After buying a kilo of srikaya (sugar apple) for Rp 7,000, one single piece of dragon fruit felt expensive. But I bought it anyway and regarded it as the cost of an adventure. The dragon fruit does have an interesting colour and wicked skin texture though.

First experience eating the glorious dragon fruit:
Apart from its bold appearance, the white fruity flesh and its small peeps taste somewhat low key, and not in a bad way. It is almost sweet but not sour at all, which is perfect for my taste. Moreover, it is rich of dietary fiber, calcium, and Vitamin C. Researches found that it is also good to help control levels of glucose blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes. Some people also believe that the dragon fruit is useful for those suffering from high tension.

With all the advantages offered and given, it suddenly doesn't feel that expensive anymore.

All images are copyright of Carla Ardian Photography.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually curious about this dragon fruit and how it tastes. Next time I spot it in the market, I'll buy one or two :)
    Nice blog and I love ur photos (as I'm also into photography)
    Let's share link shall we :D

    ReplyDelete