In with the Photography, When I thought I had lost it

Life is so weird. When I was dedicated to photography (the business) last year, it didn't seem to work out that well. When I was ready to let it go and be more rational and steady with my earning on other things that I do well, order by order creep back in.

Not saying that as a bad thing, as I love photography and always will. Just that it's weird.

Anyway, I've got several paid photography projects in January, all of which are of hotel/villa shots. That meant I needed a wider lens since I kind of broke my 18-55mm lens kit (sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't; and I don't want to look unprofessional in front of the client when it chooses not to work). Thinking ahead of how a new lens could make money in the future, I ordered this sweet prime lens Canon EF 28mm f/2.8. It is not the widest but definitely wider than 35mm and it is in my budget range for now. What I didn't know is that my camera (EOS 400D) was a cropped camera. So although the lens is called a wide-angle lens, it is not THAT wide for EOS 400D. If you put this very same lens to an EOS 5D, you will get a MUCH wider view. So yeah, given that the hotel I was shooting had very narrow angles, it was hard to produce a wide-angle photo. But on the quality side, I'm pretty happy with it. It produces almost as awesome shots as my nifty-fifty EF 50mm f/1.8. Luckily the other project I am about to do is of a villa that has more shooting space. So my present EF 28mm f/2.8 will definitely do.

And another good side of having a new toy is that I can't get away from it. I take daily photos, which I have stopped doing for a crazy long while, and experiment in a lot of ways. I browse and learn more from online tutorials of how to make the best of my new lens. And this excites me a LOT. I'm feeling very happy that I almost neglect my writing job(s). :P

Anyway, here's a thought for today.
And here's an awesome link that inspires me lately. It also inspires me to open a shop at Etsy. Carol once suggested me to do it, but I had doubts. But then again, why not try it and see if it does have a market? :)

1 comment:

  1. nice!!
    i always know that you have natural talent in photography. always love your shots!

    i shop in etsy sometimes :) you should definitely start ur own business there.

    ReplyDelete